Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library
Mission: Optimize research, education, and patient care processes with reliable and sustainable access to data and information.
Vision: Connect and transform information and knowledge
Values: Innovation Excellence Learning
Strategic Objective: Develop robust services, tools, electronic collections, technology rich collaborative spaces, and workforce expertise to provide the WHSC user community with information and knowledge that supports evidence-based patient centered care, and interdisciplinary study and research.
The Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library serves the Schools of Medicine, Nursing, and Public Health, the graduate Division of Biological & Biomedical Sciences, the Yerkes Primate Center, and Emory Healthcare components the Emory Clinic, Emory University Hospital, Emory Hospital Midtown, and Wesley Woods. Branch libraries are located on the Grady campus, Glenn Building, in Emory Hospital, and in Emory Midtown.
The Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library offers a wide range of unique services and programs that aim to optimize research, education, and clinical care processes throughout the Woodruff Health Sciences Center with reliable and sustainable access to and utilization of data, information and knowledge. Informationists and staff:
- Train to facilitate effective and efficient use of information resources, bibliographic and knowledge management tools, and genetic data analysis, including curriculum-integrated instruction.
- Analyze scholarly productivity by creating structured customized reports on trends and patterns of faculty publications
- Ensure the best use of published clinical evidence in patient care and education by participating in resident report at teaching hospitals and documenting information inquiries in the 'Bottom Line’ (blog); assist journal club presenters to evaluate article search strategies
- Consult in a systematic review process on search strategy development and facilitating the literature search
- Provide on demand and point of need training for groups or individuals
- Promote the discovery of purchased and licensed information resources through web services
- Assist the research community with policies and procedures related to NIH Public Access Policy Compliance
The WHSC Library, located at 1462 Clifton Road, is open 7 days each week (96 hours per week). Other locations include the Emory University Hospital, Emory Midtown Hospital, and Grady Branch.
In addition to the resources or collections available in the Emory University Libraries, the following are purchased or managed by the WHSC Library:
Number of physical volumes: 202,953
No. of monographic titles held: 75,238, of which 5875 books are in electronic format
No. of serial titles currently received: 6,897 (electronic); 40,000 unique electronic journals University wide
No. of electronic databases: 136; 795 available University-wide
No. of persons physically entering the library: 170,702
No. of page views for library's website: 740,638
No. of visitor sessions for library's website: 172,829
No. of external circulation of library materials: 8,824
No. of internal uses of library materials: 9,245
No. of library-sponsored or curriculum education sessions taught: 326
Attendance at library-sponsored or curriculum education sessions: 4,442.