Instructors can make course materials available to students through Reserve services.
* Use ReservesDirect to link to electronic articles or other electronic content.
* Use Print Reserves to place a book or other print item on Reserve in the Health Sciences Center Library.
ReservesDirect provides electronic access to posted course materials, and students use the system by logging in with Emory NetID and password. Class Reserves are physically located in the Health Sciences Center Library; print copies of books are available to students for short term loan and for use in the Library.
Articles and book chapters can be posted online in Reserves Direct (see the tipsheets below) and books and other materials owned by the library or by the instructor can be placed on reserve in the library. You can also upload files such as syllabi, lecture slides, and assignments to ReservesDirect. Copyright compliance requires that:
* Journal articles available at Emory should be linked with a stable url and should not be posted as pdfs.
Copyright and Fair Use
All materials placed on reserve are solely for the non-commercial, educational use of Emory University faculty, staff and students, and it must comply with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code). No one should post content consisting of copyrighted material or portions of copyrighted material without first:
* determining that the content falls within the public domain,
* obtaining permission from the copyright owner, or
* determining, after a reasonable analysis, that the content is a fair use for which permission is not required.
For assistance with copyright questions please use the Ask-a-Librarian form.
How Do I?
Place an article, book chapter, or other publication on electronic reserve:
1. Log into ReservesDirect with your Emory NetID.
2. For articles available electronically at Emory:
A. Do not post PDF copies if the article is available online.
B. Create stable links using the link generator. See our tipsheet for assistance with this process.
The Library offers Reserves Direct training for faculty, administrative staff and student assistants. For inquiries please phone the Information Desk at 7-8727 or Ask A Librarian.
Place a book or other print item on reserve:
* Please fill out this reserve form for items owned by the Library; the form will be transmitted electronically.
* If the item is your personal copy, please bring it to the Information Desk in the Health Sciences Center Library with a copy of the form.
* For assistance, phone the Information Desk at 7-8727 or Ask A Librarian.
Obtain further assistance:
* The Library offers Reserves Direct training for faculty, administrative staff and student assistants but we are unable to upload reserves for individual classes. For training or for assistance with problems using Reserves Direct please phone the Information Desk at 7-8727 or Ask A Librarian.