Lasergene Download Instructions
DNASTAR Lasergene is licensed by the Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library and is now offered at no cost to the Emory Research Community. The Lasergene Core Suite Includes full access to SeqBuilder, SeqMan Pro. MegAlign, GeneQuest, Protean Protean 3D, SeqNinja, Genevision, Primer Select and EditSeq. Additionally, Seqman Ngen, Arraystar and Qseq are licensed for use by Emory researchers.
- Most DNASTAR Lasergene products are available for both Windows (Windows XP, Vista, or 7) and Mac (OS 10.6 or later).
- Array Star and QSeq are available only on the Windows platform (available for Mac when running a Windows 7 parallel desktop).
- Please be aware that newly available modules SeqMan Ngen and Qseq require potentially large amounts of RAM. A minimum of 8GB RAM for Qseq and a minimum of 16GB RAM for SeqMan Ngen are recommended.
- The WHSC Library will make available two computer workstations that can run SeqMan Ngen and Qseq in the library, beginning September 1, 2012.
For New Users:
- Start by submitting a request to "Ask A Librarian" or contact Jeremy Kupsco: firstname.lastname@example.org or Kimberly Powell: email@example.com to receive the IP address for the Lasergene Server at Emory.
- After obtaining IP address, download the appropriate version of Lasegene from Emory Software Express.
- Follow the install prompts. Choose “silent install’ to keep prompts to a minimum. When DNASTAR Lasergene Authorization prompt pops up choose the applications you wish to authorize and click next. When prompted, select “Network” for License Type and use the provided server address to authenticate the download.
For Existing Users:
Existing users will have to delete a Keyhost file in order for the new installation to work properly!
- The file that needs to be deleted is called LG9.keyhost if you are using Lasergene version 9 or LG8.keyhost if you are running version 8 still and have not upgraded. The location of the keyhost file is found below:
- WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DNASTAR\Licenses
- WinVista and Win7: C:\ProgramData\DNASTAR\Licenses
- Mac: /HardDrive/Library/Application Support/DNASTAR/Licenses
- Next use "Ask A Librarian" or contact Jeremy Kupsco: firstname.lastname@example.org or Kimberly Powell: email@example.com to receive the IP address for the Lasergene Server.
- To install, click on the appropriate platform link. PC: Click Here Mac: Click Here
- Select the appropriate platform version and follow the install prompts. Choose “silent install’ to keep prompts to a minimum. When DNASTAR Lasergene Authorization prompt pops up choose applications you wish to authorize and click next. When prompted, select “Network” for License Type and use the provided server address to authenticate the download.
- Off campus Access –Users can access Lasergene off campus by using the following two methods: logging in to the VPN, vpn.emory.edu, or Lasergene gives you the option to “checkout a temporary license for up to 30 days that will allow off campus access, you can set this option up by clicking on “ Commuter License Manager”
- For any additional questions please contact Jeremy Kupsco: firstname.lastname@example.org or Kimberly Powell: email@example.com or the Woodruff Health Sciences Center Library Ask-A-Librarian.
A quick description of each program is below.
- SeqBuilder- Cloning, PCR Primer Design, editing and annotation
- MegAlign- Clustal, Pairwise and Multiple alignments, phlogeny
- SeqMan Pro- Sanger assembly and analysis, nextgen SNP and variation analysis
- GeneQuest- Gene finding, transcription factor binding, and RNA folding analysis
- SeqMan Ngen- Templated and de novo assembly, metagenomics
- ArrayStar- Microarray gene expression, gene ontology, large scale SNP analysis
- QSeq- RNA-Seq, CHIP-Seq, miRNA lignment and analysis
- Protean 3D- Molecular Structure and motion, protein sequence analysis
- Protean- Protein sequence analysis