Alternatives for Animal Research Resources
Protocols and Methods
- Advanced Protocols for Animal Transgenesis: An ISTT Manual (2011)
- Animal Care and Use Guidelines (Johns Hopkins University)
- Animal Models of Acute Neurological Injuries II
- Animal Models of Molecular Pathology
- Animal Models of Pain (a volume from Neuromethods series; other volumes from the series include: Animal Models of Dementia, Animal Models of Behavioral Analysis, Animal Models of Drug Addiction, Animal Models for Retinal Diseases, Zebrafish Models in Neurobehavioral Research, ...)
- Current Protocols in Mouse Biology (2011; laboratory manual updated quarterly)
- Essentials for Animal Research: A Primer for Research Personnel (USDA)
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals 2010 (National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences)
- Mouse as a Model Organism: from Animals to Cells (2011)
- Mouse Cell Culture (Methods in Molecular Biology Vol. 633, 2010)
- Mouse Models for Drug Discovery (Methods in Molecular Biology Vol. 602, 2010)
- Personality and Temperament in Nonhuman Primates (2011; see other titles in the series "Developments in Primatology: Progress and Prospects"
- Principles of Humane Experimental Technique (edited by W.M.S. Russell and R.L. Burch)
- Replacing Animal Models: A Practical Guide to Creating and Using Culture-Based Biomimetic Alternatives
- Transgenic and Mutant Tools to Model Brain Disorders (2010)
- Transgenic Mouse Methods and Protocols (Methods in Molecular Biology, Vol. 693, 2011)
- Culture of Animal Cells (Health Library Q5 525 F735 2005)
- Genetic alteration of the mouse mitochondrial genome and effects on gene expression (General Library QP1.5 L4895 2000)
- Guidelines for the care and use of mammals in neuroscience and behavioral research (Health Library WG 120 P578 2004)
- Handbook of animal models of infection (Health Library WC 100 H236 1999)
- Molecular Embryology: Methods and Protocols (General Library QL 959 M65 1999)
- Nonhuman Primates in Biomedical Research: Biology and Management (vol.1), Diseases (vol.2) (Health Library QY 60 P7N65 2012)
- The physiological genomics of the critically ill mouse (Health Library WG 120 P578 2004)
- Transgenic mouse methods and protocols (Health Library QY 25 T7725 2003)
- Vaccine protocols (Health Library QW525 .V116 2003)
- What's wrong with my mouse? : behavioral phenotyping of transgenic and knockout mice (Health Library QY 60 R6 C911W 2000)
Find Published Research
Use specialized databases to identify articles and reports about methods, techniques, procedures. While PubMed is the premier source, the following resources may identify additional articles, reports, or conference papers. Use the Find It@Emory button to link to fulltext or to request Interlibrary Loan.
- BIOSIS Previews Life sciences and biomedical research covering pre-clinical and experimental research, methods and instrumentation, animal studies, and more.
- PrimateLit Bibliographic databases for primatology
- PsycINFO Professional and academic literature in psychology and related areas.
- ToxNet A cluster of databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, and related areas
- Web of Science Multidisciplinary citation databases; includes proceedings from international conferences, seminars, workshops.
What Is An Alternatives Search
Principal Investigators whose research includes animals are required to consider alternatives which may lessen the impact on the animals (Animal Welfare Act). Alternatives are expressed according to the principles of the 3 R's:
- reduce number of animals (for example, via improved statistical design)
- refine procedures to minimize or avoid pain and distress
- replace use of animal models with lower order animals, non-animal models, or other techniques
The search for alternatives may be conducted in one or more major biomedical databases, using concepts from the research topic with appropriate alternatives termology. Consulting specialized websites can also provide methods or procedures. and by reviewing websites which specialize in 3R's. A copy of the search should be retained.
AltBib Bibliography on Alternatives to Animal Testing
ALTBIB, an NIH website, is an effective search interface for alternatives:
- Formats and automatically incorporates alternatives terminology in PubMed
- Provides llist of preformatted searches on various topics (Live PubMed Searches on Selected Topics)
- Links to specialized websites (Johns Hopkins AltWeb, U.C.Davis Alternatives)
Search ALTBIB by including the animal species and the general research area; also search for specific procedures that will be used. In addition to ALTBIB, the search can be conducted in other databases such as EMBASE, BIOSIS, AGRICOLA.
These websites should also be consulted:
- AltWeb: Alternatives to Animal Testing on the Web
- Animal Alternatives--U.C.Davis Center for Animal Alternatives
- Animal Welfare Information Center (AWIC)
- Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care
- Institute for Laboratory Animal Research
- Link Animal Models to Human Disease (LAMHDI)